A long Summer recapped

Greetings everyone!
My apologies for the lack of communication. It was one long busy Summer filled with training, racing, vacations, training, moving to a new work site and more training. Did I mention the training?

I was blessed this Summer with a season free from major injuries. I trained smart and followed a great training plan that helped me become faster when running, stronger in my core (and legs) and more confident in my abilities.

At the beginning of the Summer, I competed in a local race with my brother in law and sister in law. I raced a half ‘iron’ distance duathlon (while my brother and sister in law competed in a sprint triathlon relay). I ran 2km to start, biked for 90 km and then ran a half marathon. Our duathlon race also intertwined with the half iron distance triathlon that was running at the same time.

The duathlon field was small. About 25 competitors in the duathlon. The run start went very quick for me. A little too quick but I got into a rhythm of running a pace to keep up with the field. I am not the fastest runner and that was evident in the 2k start! I hopped on my bike. This is where it got a bit odd. In many of my previous races, I am used to doing most of my rides at the back of the field where I am the one whisking by people. But this race, I was at the front of the pack and I was being passed by a lot of strong cyclists. It was a bit of a head game for me. I was going my desired pace, but I was being passed and not doing the passing. I had to use some self talk early on when I was on the bike to remind myself that I needed to focus on my race and not the riding of others.

It was a 45 km ride out and then back. The ride out was great. It was a lot of rolling hills. I got a lot faster and faster as the ride went and my legs felt great. At the turnaround, I figured out why. The headwind! The ride back was much more difficult, especially into the wind. I persevered but used a lot of energy on the rolling climbs on the way back. That took its toll on my legs and the legs of my competitors.

Once I got to transition, I took my time, ate, and got ready for the run. I rolled out for the run but my legs were heavy and slow for the first 5 km. And then I got my rhythm. I got faster and faster and started to reel people in. I had a great run , especially in the second half and finished my run in 2:06, which I was happy with considering my first 6 km were ridiculously slow.

The great news was that I finished third in my age category and got a giant ass medal. It was a great day. I was happy with my performance and felt in great shape.

The race was in early July. So I took two days off to enjoy some chips and beer and then jumped right into marathon training. I took two different training plans, combined them and started to train. I reduced the distance after the race and really concentrated on trying to do three things. 1. Run faster. 2. Cross train. 3. Not overtrain.

So for the month of July, I spent time riding my bike 25-35 km while working on fartleks and running shorter distances at a faster pace as well as not feeling terribly bad if I missed a run. By not running 6 days a week, I was hopeful I could stay injury free. But there was on issue. The issue came on slow long runs. I really had to consciously slow down the long runs to make sure I was actually benefitting from a slow long run. That is hard because my natural pace was a lot quicker than last year and had to consciously run a lot slower. That gave me time to work on my form, breathing and my thoughts.

July was great. August was a different story. Training was sporadic and inconsistent because my family was in Huntsville visiting friends at the end of July, in Disney in early August, and the. in Mont Tremblant in mid August as well as changing work sites, so my ability to run in the day at an optimal time was compromised forcing me to either delay runs, miss runs or run at night.

Now that September is here, I am hoping for more consistency as I build up the core base of my big distance as I prepare to run the Niagara Falls International Marathon at the end of October.

I look forward to again running the marathon in memory of my uncle, Brian the Great, who succumbed to his battle with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma and to raise money for the Niagara Falls Children’s museum, which was his passion in life.

Stay tuned. I promise to give you more updates, some advice and my perspective on 8 months of training and preparation!
————————————————————————————————————–For more information on Andy running the Niagara Falls Marathon in October 2013 (and now October 2014) in memory of his uncle, Brian the Great, or to make a donation, please see the link on the homepage of the museum website at http://www.niagarachildrensmuseum.ca/. Help Andy keep Brian the Great’s legacy alive!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s